Monday, January 14, 2008

Just Wait One Second

Today was a great day. Other than starting my new job that I was very poorly trained for, everything else went wonderfully. After my pathetic attempt at working, I went for coffee with one of my friends. I think I appreciated it even more after reflecting on the importance of taking time out for yourself yesterday. We moved to Arizona about 4 years ago, and I’ve found it hard to make new friends. Maybe it’s because I had more opportunity to meet other moms I had things in common with when my kids were smaller. Now the kids don’t want me to walk them to class anymore, and there isn’t much opportunity to interact with the other moms. I miss the close connections I had with the friends I made when my kids were little, the friends I had from high school, and the friends I grew up with. Now it seems that my closest friends are spread all the way from Washington to Florida and everywhere in between. We keep in touch on the internet, but it’s not the same as sitting in the same room, sharing a cup of coffee.

It’s not that I haven’t met people that I think could become the kind of close friends I so dearly miss, it’s just that everyone’s lives seem to be so busy that it’s hard to find the time to connect. The coffee date today has been a couple of months in the making.
The other day, one of my other friends commented that it had been a long time since we had seen each other. It has. I suggested that we needed to have lunch or coffee. She said to me, “We will have to plan something, when life slows down and we are able to breathe.”. It was then that I thought, “Well I guess I’m never going to see her again.” When is life going to slow down? I don't think it ever does. Rather than waiting for life to slow down for us to take a moment to enjoy it, we need to tell life to just hold on a second. I’m glad I did today.

0 comments: