Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Story

Once upon a time there was a little girl who knew she was different. Nobody told her how or why, but she knew. She never knew the right thing to say, or the right time to say it. She was awkward and shy. She wanted to be "normal", but didn't know how. She longed to fit in, to be one of the group.

That was me.

Then I grew up and made friends that accepted me even though I was different. Some of them were different too. We enjoyed being different together. I learned to love myself. I learned to embrace the things that made me special. I used the things I was good at to make up for the things I wasn't.

I met a guy, he's pretty cute, and fell hopelessly in love. He thought I was pretty cool too (even if I couldn't remember where I parked my car). We got married and had a couple or three kids. One of the kids is different like me.

I set out looking for answers for my daughter. The answers I never had as a child. The reason why she was different and what could be done to help. I learned that we have ADD. I read every book I could get my hands on and used that information to help my daughter.

I found out that I wasn't alone. There were other parents facing the same problems, and some of them had some pretty creative ways to help their kids. I also learned that there is a lot that needs to be accepted about this disorder. I learned that a lot of people are negative because they don't understand.

I started blogging to share my experiences. Some really crazy stuff happens around here. I thought I could make people laugh. I hoped that after they were done laughing, they would take away something useful. Whether it was something to help their own child, or just a little more patience for that hyper kid across the street.

I find that blogging is like free therapy. It gives me a place to vent my frustrations. It gives me a place to share my successes. It gives me a place to be creative.

2 comments:

Bethalea said...

dooode. EXACTLY. Thank you.

sorry i haven't called, i'm on the brink of a mental meltdown.

xo

b.

LenaLoo said...

You hit this one on the nail :)